I have received some e-mails about the weather forecast and this years ROCtober. I am sending this e-mail out to let all the groups know how the current forecast may affect ROCtober. As of Wednesday October 10th the launch is still on as planned. I will send out another E-mail blast tomorrow at 8:00 P.M. with updated status and on https://rocstock.org/. After Thursday night, it will be difficult for me to send out e-mails, any updates will be on https://rocstock.org/
There are a few issues that the weather forecast brings up
1) We can only look at the same forecast as you. The current forecast from the ‘weather websites’ varies widely in regards to rain and wind. And to make it harder to predict is the ‘micro climate’ of the Lake Bed. It is common to have very different weather at the lakebed than in Apple Valley, Cajon Pass or the Los Angeles basin.
2) ROC does have a protocol for weather issues, it can be found at https://rocstock.org/camping-survival/ with more weather related information at https://rocstock.org/weather/ Group leaders should look at these pages.
3) During the weekend ROC may need to suspend operations for a period or close down the launch if conditions become unsafe or difficult to launch in.
4) With lighter rains, the lakebed can get wet and then dry out in an hour or so. Once the rain stops it is best to leave your car in one spot and let the lake dry. Heavier rains can cause standing water on the lakebed or on roads onto the lakebed.
5) The roads and the lakebed can get muddy, and it is possible to get stuck in the mud. Try to avoid driving through standing water.
6) We use the lakebed thanks to BLM, if there is mud or a wet spots PLEASE DON’T TEAR UP THE LAKE BED by driving recklessly in the mud. This leaves ruts that can damage the lakebed.
7) Your group or organization may have different rules for weather; it is up to you to follow your own groups procedures and use your and your groups judgment.
I’m looking forward to a SAFE AND FUN weekend of rockets at this years’ ROCtober.