Return to Flight Statement

To ROC Members, Flyers and Spectators,

The ROC Board has been looking for every opportunity to get back to launching rockets while complying with all applicable state and local public health orders.  As it stands right now, we do not see a way to comply and keep our flyers, spectators and volunteers safe, so June ROCstock will most likely need to be cancelled.  We are still holding out hope that something changes so that we could try to fly but it is highly unlikely.  If something does change that would allow us to hold a launch an announcement will be posted by Sunday, June 7th.

ROC is a NAR Section and therefore must follow NAR guidelines in order to hold sanctioned and insured launches.  NAR’s Covid-19 Policy recommends that “NAR sections follow all applicable national, state, and local requirements, restrictions, and recommendations for the physical location of the event(s).”  Although San Bernardino County has rescinded their public health order ROC will comply with state guidelines.  At this time the California Department of Public Health recommends that all gatherings should be postponed or canceled.  At a very minimum San Bernardino County will need to enter into stage-3 of California’s Roadmap to Recovery and give us their okay to hold an event before ROC can consider resuming launches.  At that time the ROC Board of Directors will re-evaluate and post an update.  At which time ROC does return to launching there will be protocols to follow and possibly limits to gathering size.

Please understand that the ROC Board is looking for ways to get back out on the playa. We all want to get back to launching.  We’re all itching to fly the projects we’ve been working on.  Many of us are going stir crazy cooped up at home.  But ROC’s primary obligation must be the safety, health and welfare of its members and the people who attend our events.  If anything changes, and there is a way to hold a launch, we will.  But until then please be patient.  Before we know it we’ll be punching holes in the sky again.

Please stay safe everyone.

Mike Ostby,

ROC President


LDRS-39 Has Been Postponed to 2021

From the LDRS-39 Launch Director:

Dear Rocketry Community:
The Utah Rocket Club (UROC) LDRS 39 organizing committee held a Zoom meeting recently. The purpose of the meeting was to review the current and projected status of COVID-19 as it relates to UROC conducting a successful LDRS 39 launch.
With country-wide layoffs and furloughs, the income of a significant portion of rocketeers will most likely be impacted by the COVID-19 Pandemic. Even if safety restrictions are relaxed, the committee believes that many of the hopeful registrants may not be able to afford the costs of travel and registration for the trip to Bonneville. It is more likely that flyers will attend local and regional launches for the remainder of 2020, and that’s assuming local launches can be safely organized.
After much listening, discussion, careful consideration, UROC has made the difficult decision to postpone LDRS 39 until 2021. Given the reality of COVID-19 and the unknown impacts on a large launch like LDRS, UROC believes this is the correct decision. The health and well-being of rocketry participants, spectators, and staff is our top priority.
With a unanimous vote, the Tripoli Board of Directors supports this decision and has graciously agreed to allow UROC to host LDRS in 2021. At this time, UROC believes the dates will be Thursday, July 29 through Sunday, August 1, 2021.
Some of you who already registered for LDRS 39 may need that money now more than ever. Anyone who has paid for registration (including shirts and banquet tickets) can receive a full refund upon request.  Send a request to refund@uroc.org with your name and phone number, and someone from UROC will be in touch promptly.
You also have the option of keeping your registration, (including shirts and banquet), and volunteer slots on file for LDRS 39, 2021.
Any registrant that reserved a room at the event hotel should cancel their reservations. There’s no cancellation fee, but you must cancel through the hotel. Please note, you may have to call several times or leave messages as the hotels and casinos in Wendover are currently shuttered. UROC will provide new hotel information as the new dates approach. The event hotel may change for next year’s event.
The LDRS 39 Committee will contact any vendor who has already committed prizes or goods directly. UROC will work with vendors regarding how they would like the committee to proceed with their donations.
UROC is grateful to Tripoli for allowing us the opportunity to host LDRS 39 and share the Salt Flats with our rocketry community!
Please stay safe and fly high (if you can). See you in 2021!
The Utah Rocket Club