To ROC Members, Flyers and Spectators,
The ROC Board has been looking for every opportunity to get back to launching rockets while complying with all applicable state and local public health orders. As it stands right now, we do not see a way to comply and keep our flyers, spectators and volunteers safe, so June ROCstock will most likely need to be cancelled. We are still holding out hope that something changes so that we could try to fly but it is highly unlikely. If something does change that would allow us to hold a launch an announcement will be posted by Sunday, June 7th.
ROC is a NAR Section and therefore must follow NAR guidelines in order to hold sanctioned and insured launches. NAR’s Covid-19 Policy recommends that “NAR sections follow all applicable national, state, and local requirements, restrictions, and recommendations for the physical location of the event(s).” Although San Bernardino County has rescinded their public health order ROC will comply with state guidelines. At this time the California Department of Public Health recommends that all gatherings should be postponed or canceled. At a very minimum San Bernardino County will need to enter into stage-3 of California’s Roadmap to Recovery and give us their okay to hold an event before ROC can consider resuming launches. At that time the ROC Board of Directors will re-evaluate and post an update. At which time ROC does return to launching there will be protocols to follow and possibly limits to gathering size.
Please understand that the ROC Board is looking for ways to get back out on the playa. We all want to get back to launching. We’re all itching to fly the projects we’ve been working on. Many of us are going stir crazy cooped up at home. But ROC’s primary obligation must be the safety, health and welfare of its members and the people who attend our events. If anything changes, and there is a way to hold a launch, we will. But until then please be patient. Before we know it we’ll be punching holes in the sky again.
Please stay safe everyone.